Genealogy & History
- Ellis Island Passenger Search
- Genealogy: The Complete Resource Guide
- History Reference Center (Badgerlink)Full-text books, magazines, historical documents, biographies, and multimedia. Nearly 57,000 historical documents and 40,000 historical photos and maps. More than 1,990 full-text reference books. Full-text articles are searchable by reading level indicator (Lexile).
- Military and Government Colllection (Badgerlink)Nearly 300 full-text journals and magazines. Full-text publications include Defense Studies, Military Technology, Combat Edge, Foreign Affairs, Naval Forces and many more. Also offers indexing and abstracts for hundreds of journals.
- Recollection Wisconsin
Stories from Wisconsin Collections
May require account creation.
- Cyndi’s List – categorized and cross-referenced list of links pointing to genealogical research sites online.
- RootsWeb – owned by Ancestry.com. Hosts many volunteer genealogy projects on the internet. Provides a mailing list, message board and free webspace to build your own genealogy webpages.
- Wisconsin Historical Society – collects, preserves and makes available materials about the history of Wisconsin, the United States and North America.
- Library of Congress Chronicling America – Search America’s historic newspaper pages from 1789-1924 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present.
- Preservation Directory.com – online resource for historic preservation, building restoration and cultural resource management in the United States & Canada.
- Family History Centers – affiliate branches of the Family History Library operated by the LDS Church. Regionally located at Olson Memorial Library, as well as Three Lakes and Minocqua.
- UW Milwaukee Archives – an Area Research Center for the Wisconsin Historical Society, providing access to primary sources from all around the state.
- UW Stevens Point Research Center – repository of University records, Portage County Historical Society collections and Wisconsin Historical Society – Area Research Center Network collections
- UW Madison Archives – official repository for all UW-Madison, UW-System Administration, UW-Extension, and UW Colleges records appraised to have permanent or archival value.
- Northern Great Lakes History Center and Archives – includes naturalization records; pre-1907 registrations of births, deaths, and marriages; census records for each of the eight counties as well as Native American census rolls for Northern Wisconsin tribes; area newspapers on microfilm; court and tax records; and Ashland city directories.
Library Online Resources
Archive of Wisconsin Newspapers
Wisconsin Newspapers Digital Research Site is a service of the Wisconsin Newspaper Association that provides access to 235 daily and weekly Wisconsin newspapers both historical and current.
Access family history resources such as “Archive of Wisconsin Newspapers”, “HeritageQuest Online”, “Wisconsin Historical Society Family History Records”, and more.
FamilySearch Affilate Library
Olson Memorial Library is a Family Search Affiliate Library. A free genealogy website that can be accessed from anywhere with an internet connection, at OML you have access to over 2 billion digitized records, including 400 million images that are currently not available to the public outside of our Library or a FamilySearch family history center.
Heritage Quest Online
Access genealogical research: all U.S. Federal Census records, family and local histories, and access to PERSI PERiodical Source Index.
Libby: The Digital Library App
Download ebooks and audiobookos from the Wisconsin Digital Library to your smart devices free with your library card.
New York Times
Historical newspapers archive from the 1700s-2000s containing thousands of well-known regional, state, and small local newspapers in the United States and other countries.
Transparent Language Online
100+ languages at your fingertips. Learn ASL, Ojibwe, Spanish, ESL, and more. Create an account with your library card number!
Vaughn Public Library
502 Main St. West
Ashland WI 54806
Monday - Friday 9 - 6 pm
Saturday 9 - 2 pm
Book Nook Hours
Tuesday & Thursday 9 - 4 pm
Saturday 9 - 12 pm