Genealogy & History
- Ellis Island Passenger Search
- Genealogy: The Complete Resource Guide
- History Reference Center (Badgerlink)Full-text books, magazines, historical documents, biographies, and multimedia. Nearly 57,000 historical documents and 40,000 historical photos and maps. More than 1,990 full-text reference books. Full-text articles are searchable by reading level indicator (Lexile).
- Military and Government Colllection (Badgerlink)Nearly 300 full-text journals and magazines. Full-text publications include Defense Studies, Military Technology, Combat Edge, Foreign Affairs, Naval Forces and many more. Also offers indexing and abstracts for hundreds of journals.
- Recollection Wisconsin
Stories from Wisconsin Collections
May require account creation.
- Cyndi’s List – categorized and cross-referenced list of links pointing to genealogical research sites online.
- RootsWeb – owned by Ancestry.com. Hosts many volunteer genealogy projects on the internet. Provides a mailing list, message board and free webspace to build your own genealogy webpages.
- Wisconsin Historical Society – collects, preserves and makes available materials about the history of Wisconsin, the United States and North America.
- Library of Congress Chronicling America – Search America’s historic newspaper pages from 1789-1924 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present.
- Preservation Directory.com – online resource for historic preservation, building restoration and cultural resource management in the United States & Canada.
- Family History Centers – affiliate branches of the Family History Library operated by the LDS Church. Regionally located at Olson Memorial Library, as well as Three Lakes and Minocqua.
- UW Milwaukee Archives – an Area Research Center for the Wisconsin Historical Society, providing access to primary sources from all around the state.
- UW Stevens Point Research Center – repository of University records, Portage County Historical Society collections and Wisconsin Historical Society – Area Research Center Network collections
- UW Madison Archives – official repository for all UW-Madison, UW-System Administration, UW-Extension, and UW Colleges records appraised to have permanent or archival value.
- Northern Great Lakes History Center and Archives – includes naturalization records; pre-1907 registrations of births, deaths, and marriages; census records for each of the eight counties as well as Native American census rolls for Northern Wisconsin tribes; area newspapers on microfilm; court and tax records; and Ashland city directories.
Library Online Resources
Wisconsin Newspapers Digital Research Site is a service of the Wisconsin Newspaper Association that provides access to 235 daily and weekly Wisconsin newspapers both historical and current.
Olson Memorial Library is a Family Search Affiliate Library. A free genealogy website that can be accessed from anywhere with an internet connection, at OML you have access to over 2 billion digitized records, including 400 million images that are currently not available to the public outside of our Library or a FamilySearch family history center.
New York Times
Vaughn Public Library
502 Main St. West
Ashland WI 54806
Monday - Friday 9 - 6 pm
Saturday 9 - 2 pm
Book Nook Hours
Tuesday & Thursday 9 - 4 pm
Saturday 9 - 12 pm